Monday, August 24, 2009

School days

I've always loved this time of year when the temperature gets cooler and the days get shorter. I appreciate the cooler temperatures, and this kind of weather always reminds me of when I was in school and I could start wearing my new back-to-school clothes!

I always liked being in school relatively well, but I'd have to say that my favorite time in school was when I started nursing school in August of 2003. I had long days (8 - 4:30), but I loved it! I loved what I was learning, and the prospect of a future taking care of people excited me. I loved school and I was glad that I finally figured out what I wanted to be "when I grew up." (When I graduated high school in 2002 I still didn't know what I wanted to study (that was a discouraging feeling), but after a year at UMSL I finally figured it out.

I wasn't exactly sure what kind of nurse I wanted to be, but I was pretty sure I wanted to work as a labor and delivery nurse. However, after my accident I thought it would be fulfilling to work in a trauma unit, though, like the ICU. I think I would've been good in either of these positions.

When I think of nursing school and what might have been, I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness. I'm very happy and content with my life, but I wonder what it would have been like to finish nursing school and work as a nurse. I wonder if I would be a good nurse. I sure hope so! I know that I am much more compassionate now because of my experiences, but I really hope that I would have been a kind, compassionate and knowledgeable nurse!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...