Monday, May 17, 2010

Graduation

May is the month of high school graduations, and every time another year rolls around I always think about my high school graduation in 2002. I can't believe that it's been eight years since I graduated high school. Although the time seems to have gone quickly, on the other hand, so much has changed in my life in the years since I graduated that it almost seems like a lifetime ago. Isn't it weird how things can seem so long ago and not so long ago at the same time?

When I graduated high school I was still a "normal" person who had endless possibilities ahead of me. I was just beginning to emerge in the world as an adult, and I had my whole life ahead of me. Fast forward eight years down the road and I haven't accomplished any of the things I wanted to. I'm almost 26 years old, unmarried, childless and completely disabled. I have no control over my body and I can't even care for my most basic physical needs. Although I have some college under my belt, I don't have a degree and I will never be able to work or have a career. (Or at least not the career I wanted... nursing.)

However, despite all of the physical changes I've encountered since graduating, I'm still happy and positive. The fact that I'm happy despite not having the life I always thought and expected I'd have is one of my best accomplishments, if not the greatest. I may not have all of the things that I always wanted, but I'm one of the happiest people I know, and I think that's saying a lot since there are so many people in the world who do have "everything," and yet, happiness still evades them.
This is a picture of my mom and me on my graduation day. This is one of my favorite pictures of myself of all time for several reasons. I love the colors because they are so rich and vibrant. I reached a milestone and this picture depicts that. I look happy and beautiful, and most importantly, I'm standing with my best friend.

6 comments:

ionamin-W8FW8 said...

And I am standing with MY best friend!!!

Laura said...

This made me cry. I'm so proud of you, Heather, and the fact that you're my big sister. What an inspiration.

Kathe said...

That is a very beatiful picture of you. Sweet Memories are so special:)

Kathe said...

That is a very beatiful picture of you. Sweet Memories are so special:)

Loretta Valenta said...

What a wonderful picture this is! And how wonderful that you can call your mom your best friend and she can call you hers. (((hugs)))

Joyce said...

Regarding never having a job...Have you considered social work or counseling of some sort as a career? It seems like those fields don't need too much body work- it's all brain work. I think you would be a natural.

College would be a challenge but one or two classes at a time might be manageable? I don't know a thing about it and I'm sure you have checked into it by now so I apologize in advance for giving you unsolicited advice! :-)

Naturally working with the handicapped- particularly the newly injured- comes to mind but perhaps I'm off base... you would know from your own experience whether that would have been helpful. Maybe not RIGHT AWAY but at some point in the recovery process once the initial shock has passed.

I enjoy your blog very much BTW!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...