Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hair care

Throughout my life one of my best features has been my hair. It's definitely not the "perfect head of hair" that some people are naturally blessed with, but it could be a lot worse, so I'll try not to complain!

Here's a few problems with my hair, though. My hair is very fine, but fortunately I have a lot of it, so the large quantity of hair helps to makes up for the fine texture. Another problem is that I don't have hair that I can wash, let dry and have it look nice. My hair has too much natural curl in it to dry straight, but it's too straight to be curly. (Does that make sense?) Needless to say, a lot of work goes into my hair to make it look good, but once the work has gone into my hair it usually looks pretty nice.

Over the years I've gone through lots of different hairstyles and hairdos. I started doing my own hair at a young age, and I actually got pretty good at it in high school. I never liked wearing all of my hair down, and I always put at least some of it up because I couldn't stand having it in my face. I often twisted all of my hair up in the back of my head and would let the ends either stick up or fall back in a little fountain. I wish I had a picture to show this, but I don't. A lot of people used to refer to this as my "Heather-do" which I think is a cute nickname for what it was! I always got compliments on my hair and people used to ask me how I was able to create the look.

As I said, it takes a lot of work to get my hair looking nice after it's washed. I'm not able to do my own hair anymore, but fortunately my younger sister Chandra is very good with hair and she never lets me down! This is the process that we go through to get my hair looking sleek. First, we use two TRESemmé products, 24-hour body mousse and 24-hour root lifter.
Chandra dries my hair with a round brush and a blow drier. On the top of my hair Chandra works Fekkai's Straight Away hair smoothing serum in to my hair. I've been using this product for a couple of years now and it's great for people who have hair that has lots of natural curl to control the frizz-factor. At $18 a tube it's kind of expensive, but each tube lasts me for a year, so it's definitely worth it to me.After my hair is all dry, Chandra uses a tool like a flat iron or something with heat to smooth my hair . The entire process takes about an hour, which is a long time in my opinion, but we only wash my hair three days a week, so it's not like we have to do it every day. My hair usually looks good the next day; not as good as the day we wash it, but pretty good all things considered.

Monday is always my "dirty hair day," but earlier this year I was introduced to dry shampoo. (What did I do without it for so long?!) Dry shampoo is basically baby powder in an aerosol can and it soaks up the hair oil. I really like the TRESemmé dry shampoo because you can find it at any convenience store and it's about four dollars a can. One of my blog followers recently sent me a sample of another Brand of dry shampoo called Batiste. It works just as well and it smells really nice, but it costs a little more money for a little less in each can. Still, it works really well.

Anyway, this is the 411 on my hair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...