Monday, October 4, 2010

Trip down memory lane

Last Friday was my nephew Kaleb's "bring a special friend(s) to school" day, so my mom and I went. Kaleb is a first grader, so it was fun to be able to go and spend an hour with him and his classmates. Each child was supposed to read their guest a story, and then there were cookies and milk for everyone. I love kids, and it's especially fun to watch them doing their "school" thing.

What made the day even more special was that I was in MY old elementary school. Freer elementary school was a full kindergarten through fifth grade facility when I went there, but now it's just kindergarten through third grade, and next year I've heard that it's just going to be kindergarten through second grade. I can't believe how much things have changed in the past 15+ years, however at the same time so many things are just the same! I saw a few teachers that I still recognized, and the school secretary is still the same one that worked there when I started going there in 1991.

After the hour with Kaleb, my mom and I went around the school so that I could see where all of my former classrooms were, and so that I could see all the things that have changed. Being in an elementary school setting was so much fun, and it reaffirmed to me how much I would've loved to be an elementary school teacher. Ultimately nursing won out over teaching, but there was a time after high school when I seriously considered going into teaching.

Kaleb's teacher told me to come back any time, so when she said that I asked her if it would be all right if I came and talked to the kids sometime about people with disabilities. She was really in favor of this idea, so I can't wait to be invited back sometime soon! This was such a wonderful trip down memory lane!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...