Saturday, November 6, 2010

Movie #22

My younger sister Chandra and I went to the movies on Saturday afternoon and we saw the new Clint Eastwood movie Hereafter.

Here is a brief synopsis of the movie: Clint Eastwood directs this supernatural thriller about three very different people and their responses to death including a hesitant psychic named George (Matt Damon) who may be able to help the others find answers and peace. Marie is a French journalist who 's caught up in the aftereffects of the devastating 2004 tsunami, while in London, young Marcus seeks to contact his deceased twin brother. (Synopsis from Netflix)

This movie hasn't gotten the best reviews, but I really liked it for a couple of reasons. First of all, I really like Matt Damon because I think he's a really good actor. He's got great range. He's always believable at his portrayal of characters in serious dramas, while at the same time he's able to be so funny in a comedic role.

Next, this movie was really thought-provoking, which is something I always appreciate in a book or movie. Basically, the question that was being asked was, "what happens to you when you die?" I have no doubt happens when you die, and I'm so glad that I do. What would life be like if the life we live on earth was it?! I know that it's possible to survive and conquer any hardship, trial, tragedy or sadness if you have the knowledge and understand the truth that when we die our spirit (who we truly are) lives on forever! There won't be any sicknesses, disabilities or infirmities; we will live in perfect bodies that work and function properly.

We will live with our loved ones. Sometimes when people lose their loved ones too early in life they are overcome with sadness because they don't believe that they will ever see their loved ones again. This is such a depressing thought! I can't imagine having a friend or family member die and think that I will never see them again. Or in my case, I can't imagine how horrible it would be to become paralyzed at 19 like I did and feel like my one shot at living a normal life had been taken away. Trials and tragedies are difficult, don't get me wrong, but if you know that there's so much more to life and living than the life we live on earth, it makes anything bearable!

Another theme that was briefly touched on in the movie is that "death is only the beginning." This concept can seem trite to someone who is in the midst of their heartache, but it really is true. Although earthly life seems hard and unending at times, it's so short if you think eternally!

So what I would say to someone who is unsure of what happens when we die is that it's not just "lights out" and the end of everything; it really is the start of something amazing! If you're unsure, then take my word for it and take solace in knowing that there are wonderful things in store for us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...