Friday, July 22, 2011

Bye-bye bookstores

Borders Bookstore has been in business for 40 years and they recently announced that they're going out of business, and all of their bookstores will be closed in the next two months. Borders said that the two main reasons they're closing is #1) the economy and #2) they're finding it hard to compete with e-Readers, like Kindles and Nooks. 

This is sad, sad news! Although I think it would be nice to have a small, portable electronic device that stores thousands of books, magazines and newspapers, I think there's something to be said for having an actual book that you can hold. Call me old-fashioned, but that's the way I feel! I love bookstores and I think there's something to be said for being in such a calm and quiet environment. Before you know it libraries are going to be the next thing to go, or at the very least, undergo a transformation to having more electronic devices and less books. 

This commercial for Amazon's Kindle says it all:

2 comments:

Dale and Marge said...

Hi Heather! I met you in the temple Friday and couldn't wait to get home to Columbia and read your blog! It is beautiful!! I love the pictures--are you a photographer? Is there anyway you can do that?
I was interested in your opinions about Boarders closing and how nice it is to pick up books and read them. But I wonder if you can use an IPAD or Kindle. My husband has both and enjoys them very much. Are there ways to turn pages and activate those by voice commands or some way you could use those? Seems like a stationary device would be more accessible.
Thank you so much for coming to the Temple Friday. You and your mother are very very inspiring.
Love and blessings, Sister Whitman

Dale and Marge said...

Heather, I sent a question on the blog and perhaps you want to answer it there or here. Either way! We drove to Booneville, Missouri this morning to look at the Missouri River in its high stages. A park overlooking the river was stunningly beautiful today. It is awesome to contemplate the pioneers of this nation forging west and crossing the Missouri at Arrow Rock. It is such a big, fast river and the scenery is very beatuiful.
Happy Sabbath, Sister Whitman (Marge)

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...