Friday, July 8, 2011

Not guilty doesn't = innocent

Earlier this week a verdict was reached in the Casey Anthony trial. Casey Anthony was on trial for the murder of her two-year-old daughter Kaylee Anthony. I think just about everyone has heard of this trial, even if they haven't followed it that closely. I was glad to you hear that a verdict had been reached, and I was excited (excited doesn't seem like the appropriate word, but I can't think of a better word) to hear the verdict. I was sure she would be found guilty, because I think she IS guilty. 
However, the verdict was not guilty. I was stunned! However, after my initial surprise wore off a little bit, I could definitely see why she got off. There just wasn't sufficient evidence to convict her, so that left room for enough reasonable doubt for Casey Anthony to be found not guilty. It's important to remember that just because she was found not guilty, it doesn't mean that she was found innocent. There's a big difference between the two.

At the sentencing trial yesterday Casey was sentenced to one year in prison and a $1000 fine for each of the four counts that she was found guilty on. (The counts that she was found guilty on were lying to police.) So, that means four years in jail and a $4000 fine. However, she's already been in jail for three years, and when you take into account time off for good behavior, Casey will be released from prison in just a few days. What a shame, because I truly think she's guilty.

As horrible as it is to watch someone go free that you really feel is guilty of the crime (remember OJ?!), it's comforting to know that although they might go free in this life, there will come a time when God will hold them accountable for what they've done. If it were me and I'd done something horrible like this, I'd live in fear of the day that I would come face-to-face with God. In the end, everyone in this boat will get what's coming to them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...