Sunday, September 11, 2011

9|11: Ten Years Later

It's hard to believe that today is the 10th anniversary of 9|11. The world definitely seems like a different place now than it was back then. There's a lot more security in this day and age, but it's sad that there's a need for it. Here are some of my recollections from Tuesday, September 11, 2001:

I was a senior in high school and it was about nine o'clock. I was in my second period classSpanish IVand I was taking a test when another teacher came into the classroom and told my Spanish teacher that there had been some sort of terrorist attack on the East Coast. All of the details were sketchy at that point, but as the day progressed, more and more details began coming to light. I was volunteered in the counselor's office during my fourth period, and I remember watching the media coverage on the TV. It was startling to actually see the video of the towers coming down, and to witness the devastation and hysteria of the people. I remember my English teacher, Mr. Brown, telling my class that the attack would rival the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. That was a sobering way to put things into perspective.

I had to work at the movie theater that evening, and I was surprised that there were people actually interested in watching movies with everything that was going on! That evening we had a record-setting low in the attendance at my movie theaterI think only 29 people attended our theater that day.

It's really hard to believe that a decade has come and gone since that day! It's surreal to see the twin towers when I watch movies or TV shows that were filmed before September 2001. For me, there's no way that you can see the New York skyline pre-2001 without vividly remembering what happened to our country that day. One good thing that happened following September 11 was the outpouring of love for our fellow men. Everyone was extra full of kindness and patriotism for a long time after that day, which was one positive outcome of such a horrific event.

I'm sure more terrorist attacks will happen in the future, which is unfortunate and sad, but that seems to be the way the world is these days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...