Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Green Can

(This is a DoubleTree Hotel chocolate chip
cookie can like the one we used to have, except
this one is brown instead of green.)

My dad was a Primary teacher for the Blazer Boys class at church for a time in the early 90's and he would always take a treat for the kids in his class in the infamous green can – a DoubleTree Hotel chocolate chip cookie tin that he’d gotten on a business trip.

One time (I must’ve been about six years old) my dad brought home, a new type of candy to fill the green can. He broke open the bag, and we all sampled the candy. I don’t remember what kind of candy it was, but I do remember liking it.

I woke up sometime in the middle of the night and I remember thinking about how good the candy was. I got out of bed and tip-toed out to the kitchen where the green can was sitting on the counter. I reached my hand into the can and pulled out a fistful of candy and ran back to my room. Once I was back in bed, I put the candy under my pillow and started eating it. I repeated this scenario two or three more times that night. I went back to the green can for the final time in the morning before anyone else was awake. When I looked inside the can, I was horrified to see that the can was nearly empty. I’d eaten almost the entire bag of candy over the course of the night!

I panicked because I knew I would be in so much trouble when my dad found out. I decided the only thing to do to save my hide was to blame it on our dog, Bo. When my dad found a nearly empty can he angrily asked what had happened to all of the candy, I knew I would be in so much trouble if he found out the truth, so I told him that I’d seen our dog Bo eating the candy out of the can when I went out to the kitchen early that morning. As I look back, I can’t believe that I was able to come up with such a calculated story and that my dad actually believed it. The least I could've done is tip the can over and drop some of the remaining candy on the floor, but I guess I just wasn't that good at making up calculated lies.

1 comments:

Joseph & Annette said...

That is hilarious...I never knew you were so sneaky!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...