Monday, October 31, 2011

Cold-Blooded

I don't know if you remember learning the difference between warm-blooded and cold-blooded animals in elementary school science, but in case you've forgotten, allow me to refresh your memory. Warm-blooded animals, like mammals or birds, can maintain a constant body temperature regardless of their surroundings. Cold-blooded animals like reptiles, amphibians and fishes can't control their body temperature. They acclimate to the temperature of their surroundings and are cold in cold environments and warm in warm environments. This is why cold-blooded animals like lizards can often be found sitting on a rock, sunning themselves to get warm.

You can also add ME to the list of cold-blooded animals because I'm [usually] cold in a cold place and warm in a warm place. It's hard for you to regulate your body temperature when you're paralyzed and your body's thermostat gets all out of whack.

Winter has always been my favorite season. Holidays, snow and sweaters and coats are just a few of the reasons why, but now that I'm paralyzed I definitely prefer summer to winter. If I can't be a comfortable temperature, I much rather feel hot than cold. Temperature wise, the months of May, June, July and August are wonderful, April September and October are tolerable and November through March… well, forget about it!

I spend much of my time bundled up tight in the cold months of the year, even when I'm indoors in order to feel less cold. Exhibit A:

3 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Hope you are staying warm. You should move to Az or Ca for the winter. LOL

Rai said...

:o it's a heather ninja!

Rona said...

I stumbled on your website quite by accident, but I'm glad I did. I'm a 40 year old with monoplegia (just one limb) and I too hate the cold!

Last year my hubby got me an electric foot warmer and it's my best friend. Going outside is such a challenge because if my limb gets cold, then I start dropping temperature fast.

Just from the few posts I've read, it sounds like you're doing an awesome job at adapting to your new life. Keep up the good work. You're beautiful inside and out! :D

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...