Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012 Recap

Thanksgiving is usually a low-key, uneventful holiday around here now that most of my sisters are married. It's just my youngest sister Chandra at home with Mom and me since my other five sisters are all married. Four of them live out of state and the one that does live here usually spends the Thanksgiving holiday in Ohio with her in-laws. Although it would be fun to have a house full of company, my mom, Chandra and I always manage to have a fun time together, along with whatever friends we invite over. 

This year my Uncle Paul from Atlanta decided to visit for Thanksgiving, and we also invited my wheelchair technician, Larry, to have Thanksgiving dinner with us. (Larry and I go way back… he's the same man who has worked on my wheelchair and other specialty equipment ever since my injury nine years ago. He's divorced and doesn't always have his kids on holidays, so we like to have him over since he's such a nice guy.)  

Even though we had a small gathering and things were uneventful, it was a wonderful Thanksgiving. (I couldn't believe it when I looked at the clock and more than an hour and a half had passed since we'd sat down to the dinner table!) All of our food tasted so good, and I think it was the best tasting Thanksgiving dinner I ever remember having. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of our food or of us gathered around the dinner table, but I did manage to get a picture of the "important" stuff… the desserts!  

My mom made a traditional pumpkin pie for Paul since that's his favorite Thanksgiving pie. I don't really care for pumpkin pie and I can't even remember the last time I've eaten pumpkin pie! However, Mom and I decided to join Paul in a pre-Thanksgiving piece of pumpkin pie on Wednesday evening. (That's why there's a huge chunk missing from one of the pies in the picture!) It wasn't bad, but if I never had pumpkin pie again I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything!  
My mom also made a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie pie and Larry made a pineapple upside down cake. I don't remember ever tasting pineapple upside down cake before (although I do remember my mom making it once or twice when I was young). I was a little skeptical about the cake since I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was actually really good. My favorite dessert we had was something new I recently found a recipe for on Pinterest… chocolate peanut butter chess pie! It was OUTSTANDING and I highly recommend it, so click here for the recipe. (For those of you who don't know what chess pie is, it's a pie that has a consistency similar to custard. There are MANY types of chess pie, including lemon, vanilla, buttermilk and chocolate.)   
After dinner we played the game "iMAgiNiff…". (This is one of my favorite games and one that I highly recommend, in case you're looking for a fun party game for the holidays… or any other time).  

I'll write more about my Thanksgiving weekend soon. It's quite late and I have a doctor's appointment with my cardiologist early tomorrow morning, so I better get to bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...