Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Computers: Can't Live with 'em, Can't Live without 'em!

I have a love/hate relationship with my computer. Oh, how I love it when it's working well because I love the independence it brings me, but oh, how I hate it when it isn't running properly! My computer started malfunctioning last fall. It had been working just fine, and then all of a sudden it wasn't working quite right. Little things kept going wrong and changing without any rhyme or reason and I didn't know what to do to fix the problems. My voice dictation software wasn't working well and my programs were constantly crashing which meant I would either have to reopen them or restart my computer altogether. This made working on my computer extremely frustrating! (It's a good thing I'm paralyzed or I would've thrown it out the window months ago!)

My laptop was only three years old, so although I knew something was wrong, I really didn't think it needed to be replaced. My computer kept giving me a "your computer is low on memory" error, so I consulted a computer-savvy friend from church to see if he could put some more RAM in my laptop. He said that my computer was already maxed out on the amount of RAM it can hold, so I decided I would just have to bite the bullet and get a new computer. My savvy friend also has connections with Dell, so he offered to custom build me a new computer. It took him a few months to acquire a computer with all of the specifications I wanted/needed, but he finally found one last month. I was so grateful for his help since I know only about enough to be dangerous when it comes to computers! He managed to get me a KILLER deal, too, and saved me about $600!

My computer friend brought my new laptop over last Wednesday and got it all set up for me. I love it and am so grateful to be operating at full speed again after limping along with my old computer for the past six months. It's nice to know that I have a completely current laptop again. I know it will last all of five minutes before there's something bigger and better and more up-to-date out there, but I'm good for the moment. I'm hoping this laptop will serve me well for at least four years, but I suppose only time will tell since technology changes and evolves by leaps and bounds in no time at all.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh Heather - it must be glorious to have a working computer again. Horray! Long may it be speedy :)

Rachael.

Lisa said...

I also have a love/strongly dislike relationship with my old laptop. Keeping my fingers crossed it keeps on ticking!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...