Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day 2013

My mom, Chandra and I went to a church picnic at Arnold Park yesterday afternoon to celebrate Memorial Day with our friends from church. I was a little apprehensive when Mom and Chandra said that they wanted to go because I haven't been to this park since May 2002 when I went there for my senior class picnic. I think I've actually only been to Arnold Park two times (before yesterday) and I couldn't really remember what the layout of the park is like, so I didn't know how "wheelchair friendly" it would be.

Chandra knows I get nervous going new places (or "old" places that I've never been to in my wheelchair) so she suggested stopping by the park on the way home from church on Sunday so we could check it out to see how accessible it is. Checking places out beforehand always sets my mind at ease because then I know with certainty that either yes, it's accessible and will be easy to maneuver around in my wheelchair or no, there's absolutely no way my wheelchair would be able to go over the rough terrain. The picnic grounds met with my approval, though, so we decided to go to the picnic.

There was a great turnout of people and I always have fun socializing with church folk apart from "formal" church on Sunday. The food looked and smelled good, but all I ate was a cupcake. The weather was beautiful yesterday, but my one complaint was the wind! It was terribly windy, and if you know me, then you know how much I hate wind! Some people can pull off the windblown look and still look cute; I am not one of those people! I looked like a hot mess as soon as the first gust of wind hit me after getting of the van, but I just had Chandra tuck my hair behind my ears and I tried not to mind. At least I was in good company, though, since everyone else was rocking the same "windblown" look, too.

Chandra and I took off early so that we could go see a movie. I'll write more about that soon!

1 comments:

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

I'm so glad you decided to come!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...