Sunday, November 3, 2013

Curveball

Life can be pretty unpredictable. Just when your life is going well and you think you have things under control, something unexpected comes along and upsets your best laid plans. Whether it's something minor like traffic or long lines at the grocery store or something major like becoming disabled or being diagnosed with an illness or disease, just about everyone can relate to having to resort to Plan B.
I've found that Plan B isn't always so bad. You might have to adjust a little (or a lot), but if you roll with the punches you might learn something valuable that makes you a better, stronger person in the end.
Don't be so hard on yourself; you're stronger than you think! It's easy to look at someone experiencing something challenging and say, "I could never do that!" As a whole, I think people are much more resilient than they give themselves credit for. You might not want to do something difficult, but find that you're capable of doing some pretty extraordinary things if/when push comes to shove. I know from my own personal experience that if you would've asked me before my accident if thought I would be able to live this sort of life, I would've said, "No way! Just let me die because I can't/don't want to live that way!" Thank goodness I wasn't asked to make that decision before my accident, because I'd be missing out on a really great life!
One more pearl of wisdom: it's how we react to life's minor and major inconveniences that makes the difference. I think how you handle problems really says a lot about your character. When minor annoyances arise I just try to remember that it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And when I've been confronted with major obstacles I just try to remember that those challenges are molding me into the kind of person God wants me to be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And you are strong my friend!

Erinna Marie said...

Heather, from the moment I met you, I looked up to you (or maybe down ;). You are such a great example of what it truly means to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Thanks for being a positive light to share!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...