Saturday, July 5, 2014

Youth Conference 2014

Last Saturday I spoke at Youth Conference, a yearly event for the 14 – 18-year-olds at church. The first day of Youth Conference is always full of fun, games, service projects and a dance and the second day is more spiritual with different classes and workshops. I was asked to teach a class on adversity and how to get through the different challenges that people are confronted with in life.

I always dread the anticipation of speaking to large groups, but it actually went really, really well. I taught the same class to two different groups of kids and I could tell that  they were listening to me very intently. Some of them were moved to tears as they listened to me share my story/experiences and it made me wonder what sorts of hard things they are going through in their lives. I'm so glad that I'm not a teenager anymore! It was hard enough 15-ish years ago and it's even worse these days.

They asked if they could take a group picture with me which I thought was sweet:
I'm a big fan of making handouts to give the kids in my Sunday school class, so I knew I wanted to make something for the kids that came to my class last week. I found this adversity candy bar wrapper on Pinterest and attached it to my handout. I was pretty proud of the way they turned out:

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! I bet you were an amazingly inspired teacher at that Youth Conference! Our YC is in a couple weeks, I sure wish you were our guest speaker. I have never met you, but I can feel of your strong, sweet spirit. Thank you for sharing your experiences and spirit with all that you meet. I'm certain that you touched A LOT of lives of the youth that you spoke to!

Kate said...

So fun! I so want to sit in on one of your speaking engagements someday! I know they are hard for you, but I think you have so much to share. I love you handout too! I needed some of those pieces of advice today. Thanks! :)

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...